Passion Over Fame

Sometimes, you just do things for free, whether it’s offering your talent or giving your time to something, purely because of PASSION.

A scene from "Guhit" during DLS 2k15: KOLAB


I don’t know how else to put it. To be honest, theatre does not relate to even one of my long-term goals. I’ve been thinking of quitting over and over again, but I am always reminded that even though my love for creativity and art did not start with theatre, it has definitely been a foundation in my life by surrounding me with people who are even more passionate for the arts -- and I don’t just mean theatre arts but the arts in general.

Despite coming home at 11 PM every day only to wake up at 4 AM the next day, despite failed grades, criticisms, and just pure emotional and physical stress, I have managed to stay for a year. Because if there’s one thing that theatre has taught me, it’s this: passion over fame.

A scene from "Balot" during DLS 2k15: KOLAB


Passion over your own desires. This means that the goal of the production comes first. It means working with people despite pressures and misunderstandings. It means staying up late at night to do a creatives poster or some other managerial task. It means doing prod work even if you have to take it home or do it alone. It means stepping out of your comfort zone and doing some things you are totally clueless about. It means not having to be asked to do what is needed. It means sucking up rehearsal nights even if you still have a lot of things to catch up to. It means doing something you never really signed up for even if you have to drag your feet to get there. It means working behind the scenes and being totally supportive of those in the spotlight. It means eventually embracing the hustle because you love what you do. It means you have a greater goal. The moment you become part of a guild, you stop doing things for yourself and start doing things for and with other people and enter a pursuit of a common goal.

HTG Apprentices 2k15


Maybe everyone who has auditioned for theatre has had that strong desire to perform on or off stage, but being a part of it is a another thing. Goals change from mere performances to bringing stories to life and baring hearts and souls with pure creativity to show that you and I are connected in the deepest, darkest, and most beautiful ways in our humanity.

"Love Each Other" - DLSU Harlequin Theatre Guild 2015-2016


It has been a pleasure to celebrate my differences with you, DLSU Harlequin Theatre Guild. I have been in college for 6 years and you are one of the things that has made it worth it. I am grateful that it was you. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram